Fondation Hirondelle is seeking to hire an experienced journalist to oversee the editorial activities of the Doh Athan project.
The position would entail working a total of 2.5 days per week on a consultancy basis in Chiang Mai, Thailand. The contract duration is 6 months, subject to extension if further funding becomes available.
Doh Athan, "Our Voice", is a weekly podcast covering human rights issues. It is available online, via social media, and on Voice of America’s (VOA) Burmese service. It includes audio, videos and articles for the web.
Doh Athan is produced by Fondation Hirondelle, a Swiss based organization, in partnership with Frontier Myanmar and with local reporters and media from different states, regions and ethnicities in Myanmar.
Fondation Hirondelle provides daily support to editorial staff and operations, including fundraising. In 2021, Frontier relocated to Chiang Mai, Thailand and now works remotely.
Under the supervision of Fondation Hirondelle’s Asia Program Manager, the Editor carries out her/his activities on the operations assigned to her/him in Chiang Mai (Thailand). She/he embodies the values of the Foundation, promotes its mission and enforces its regulatory framework.
- Lead the production team to identify and produce high-quality, compelling stories on human rights issues
- Review and edit translated scripts of all Doh Athan editorial content and approve for broadcast.
- Provide regular mentoring and some tailor-made training to staff and media partners.
- Ensure, in accordance with Frontier Myanmar and Fondation Hirondelle’s rules, the safety of the project's people and equipment.
- Ensure project activities are delivered in line with deadlines and budget requirements.
- Monitor activities and audience figures/engagement with the Social Media Officer and VOA.
- Contribute to the implementation of other project activities, such as studies, assessments, etc.
- Ensure regular communications with Frontier Myanmar regarding production and broadcast plans.
- Provide regular updates to the Fondation Hirondelle HQ team regarding activity project needs, security issues and other matters that could affect the project.
- Contribute to the production of project narrative reports .
- Minimum 5 years editorial experience
- Previous experience working in Myanmar
- Proven experience training and/or mentoring media professionals
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Burmese or Thai language skills would be an asset
- Strong interpersonal skills including diplomacy and tact
- Excellent communication skills – speaking, writing and listening
Start date: as soon as possible.
Note: this is a republication following unsuccessful recruitment for the post of Editorial and Project Officer, therefore please note the change in title and description compared to the previous vacancy announcement.